Monday, July 18, 2016

KABOOM! Vocabulary Game

I have spent the summer searching for fun vocabulary games to use in my classroom.  Marzano believes that if students interact with new vocabulary words in meaningful ways, they will learn them more thoroughly and they will invest in them.  I believe that, too.  In fact, when I integrated more meaningful vocabulary games into my classroom, my kids actually knew and used the words.
P.S--> test scores went up.

Planning for KABOOM!
To play KABOOM! you need some Pringles cans (or that is what we used).
You take strips of paper and write the vocabulary words on them.
You can use one word more than once.
You also need to have a strip of two with the word KABOOM! on it.

How to play
I like to have groups of 5.  Out of the 5 students, one student has the definitions to the vocabulary words.  I try to choose someone who I know will have a grasp on the words and that person is the Game Master.  So, this person doesn't play the game while they are the Game Master.
Student 1 takes his/her turn: They pull out a strip from the KABOOM! Pringles Can.  They say the word and then I have them tell the definition of the word.  You could also have them give a synonym of the word or use it in a sentence.  You could have them play a round of all three!  If the Game Master agrees that they have given the correct definition (or synonym or sentence), they get to keep the strip of paper.
The game moves on to the next player and they keep going through the game.
When a student gets a KABOOM! strip, that student has to put all the strips he/she has earned back into the Pringles can and then the game keeps going.
I like to have students play for a set amount of time.  I set a timer and when the timer goes off, that round is over and the person with the most strips of paper wins the game.

My kids love this and I have played it for years.  I first heard of the game when I started teaching in Greeneville, Tennessee back in 2011.  The kids taught me how to play.

You can decorate the Pringles cans (if you find the time).  I have a few that are decorated and a few that are not.  The kids don't mind.

Plus, it gives us a great reason to eat Pringles!

2 comments:

  1. whaaaaaaaaaaaat y-y-you d-d-do t-t-t-thinkyou

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOAH!! I've never heard of someone referencing my hometown!

    ReplyDelete