Friday, July 22, 2016

A Day in the Class of Mrs. T's Interactive Notebooks

This summer, I have been researching to learn the best note-taking strategies for my middle school students.  I am going to use my own adaptation of interactive notebooks, (click the link to see the first post about interactive notebooks on this blog) but I will also be using Cornell notes.  Cornell notes is a systematic approach to taking notes that I think will give structure for my middle school kids and will help me plan and teach more effectively and efficiently.  Cornell notes are actually used excessively in law school as well, which really impressed me.

"IN"/ Bell Work
At the beginning of class, the student should open their notebook so that there are two blank pages: one on each side.  Then, they draw a line dividing the left page in half.  They begin the day with a bell work activity.  This is where I am using mentor sentences (click to see post about mentor sentences) and you can see this in the picture below.  A lot of interactive notebooks call this the "IN" portion of the notebook.  I like calling it bellwork, but I can also go with calling it the "IN" because the kids do this when they first get "IN" class.

This is what the notebook should look like
at the beginning of each class period.

THROUGHOUT CLASS
After the kids do their bellwork and we discuss it, we are ready to move to the "THROUGHOUT CLASS" section of the notebook.  Now, I have struggled with this side because, if you really look at it, this one page is not really very big for a day of notes.  But, after thinking about it, it might help me be more concise.  I can only include what is really necessary for the lesson instead of having students take notes that are not needed.  For this section of the notebook, we will be using the Cornell note taking strategies that are pictured here.

This is how I will have my students set up their notebooks for a day of class. 
Once the lesson is over, I will give the students a few minutes to complete the left side of the Cornell notes.  This section is kind of like a reflection where students look at the notes I have given them, and then, they will either write questions about the notes that they will use when it is time to review.  Or, they can use bullet points to capture the most important points in their own words.  It is very important that they do it in their own words because it allows them to read what I give them and then actually think about it, reflect upon it, and then write about it.
At the very end, they will write a few sentences summarizing the lesson, again, in their own words.


 OUT/Closure
At the end of the lesson, I will use the "OUT" or Closure side for a few different things.  The first option is to have a few questions about the lesson to have students use their notes and think about what they have learned.
Another option is to have students write down what their homework assignment is so that they will remember it.  For example, they could write down that they have to read chapter 1. Or that they need to complete worksheet 11.
A final option is to have students write down the questions they will need to do for homework so that they will have them ready beside of their notes to do.


The main benefit that I see in using this method is that it will allow students to have an organized approach to taking notes in your class.  There is accountability and I honestly think it will help them learn to be more organized since they really don't have anyone to teach them but us.
While we do take many notes in my class, I know that there are days that we don't take notes, but, instead, do an activity or some group work.  If that is the case, I will not have the students use the Cornell notes, but I will still have them do the Bellwork and the Closure.  In the THROUGHOUT CLASS section, I will have them use this section to do the activity.  I think it is really important that they have all their notes together in this one bound notebook.

Let me know what you think.
I will be updating you soon when we start back to school in about 10 days!



No comments:

Post a Comment